Hi,

--- Jeff Mitchell <quixoticsycophant / yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Curt Hibbs <curt / hibbs.com> wrote:
> > Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> > > In any case, to my knowledge mingw32 should be
> fully compatible since
> > > it shares the same runtime, libmsvcrt-ruby18.
> It runs fine on
> > > mingw32-ruby as well.  (And no problems on the
> i686-linux side
> > > either.)
> >
> > I'm no expert here, but my expectation would be
> the opposite, since mingw32
> > compiled code runs through an emulation layer
> while natively compiled code
> > does not.
> >
> > Since the Ruby Installer for Windows is compiled
> natively (with VC++ 7.1),
> > and your extension is compiled with mingw32, I
> would expect problems, and
> > perhaps that is the source of the segfaults you
> mention below.
> >
> > I'm going to cross post this to the ruby-talk ML,
> and the ruby-installer-dev
> > ML to get some other opinions on this.
>
> I was shocked to see my private email appear in the
> ML, but I'll respond to
> this part.  mingw32 produces 100% native Win32 code
> -- that's really the reason
> mingw32 exists in the first place.  What can lead to
> incompatibility is
> the GNU gcc runtime verses the Microsoft runtime.
> mingw32 output can be linked
> to either runtime.  With mkmf.rb, ruby extensions
> are configured to link to
> whatever runtime ruby uses -- in this case
> msvcrt-ruby18.  If you build ruby
> with mingw32 you will find it creates msvcrt-ruby18
> as well.
>
> > > I noticed that you included the 7.1 runtime,
> > This is because not all windows systems have this
> runtime installed, and the
> > whole point of a one-click installer is that it be
> "one-click" (that is, the
> > user should not have to download and install a
> missing runtime dll).
>
> The reason I mention it is because that's what makes
> your ruby different than
> mine.  Assuming no compiler bugs, the problem must
> lie there, or in the 181
> patch you are applying.

The 1.8.1.13 version of the Ruby installer has some
incompatibilities with Ruby-GTK as well, but I don't
know what it is specifically, I only know that by
selecting some TreeView elements it's easy to cause a
seg-fault.

I am avoiding (and telling other Ruby-GTK people to
avoid) the Ruby installer until we figure out what's
causing the problem, or when a new version comes out
without the problem.

I know for a fact that Ruby 1.8.2 compiled with MinGW
doesn't have the problem; and that Ruby 1.8.2 compiled
with VC++ doesn't have the problem either.

Windows 2000
C:\>ruby -v -e "require 'gtk2'; p
Gtk::VERSION.join('.')"
ruby 1.8.2 (2004-05-19) [i386-mswin32]