--gWRamliw218YCZO9

Han Holl (han.holl / pobox.com) wrote:

> As far as I can see from the source, there is no other way to end the
> connection to a remote object than through a raised exception.  Of
> course, most of the time this will be a connect error because the
> client just disconnects, but using ethereal I can see that the server
> still writes a complete backtrace to the socket.  Wouldn't it be
> desirable to have a more elegant way of disconnecting, or is there one
> that I just didn't see ?

Nope!  There's no way to gracefully disconnect a DRb session, since you
may not know what all is still "alive" and being shared between servers.
Also note that there are not strict "clients" or "servers" in DRb, since
an object may be shared both ways.  At some time the "server" may try to
access a resource from the "client", even when it is long-gone, either
from the client disconnecting, or from the resource being
garbage-collected on the client side.

All messages signed with fingerprint:
FEC2 57F1 D465 EB15 5D6E  7C11 332A 551C 796C 9F04

--gWRamliw218YCZO9

--gWRamliw218YCZO9--