On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 05:38:20PM +0900, Michael Neumann wrote:
> > Psyco does some great things for the performance of certain
> > algorithms, but it's not part of the core Python distribution for any
> > number of reasons: only works on x86, breaks several standard
> > introspection and debugging libraries, and perhaps most importantly,
> > prevents redefinition of methods at runtime on optimized objects.
>
> Hmm, if we'd had namespace selectors in Ruby, such optimizations (e.g.
> optimizing integer/floating point operations) would become possible, at
> least theoretically, without breaking code or loosing introspection at

They are actually possible with the current language; you'd "only"
need a code specializer + careful code cache invalidation (take a look
at the Self papers).

--
Running Debian GNU/Linux Sid (unstable)
batsman dot geo at yahoo dot com

Q: What's the big deal about rm, I have been deleting stuff for years?  And
   never lost anything.. oops!
A: ...
	-- From the Frequently Unasked Questions