"Ara.T.Howard" <ahoward / noaa.gov> wrote in message news:<Pine.LNX.4.60.0406170934300.31212 / harp.ngdc.noaa.gov>...

> well, what are the 'requirements'?  O(1) lookup, insertion and deletion?  key
> -> value lookup?  etc.  if it's mapping keys to values, then that could be
> called mapping or hashing i suppose.

from the rcr: "provide a mixin for key->value mappings"
Sorry for not have stated this more clearly, but this mixin, in my
'vision', would be going to work with any kind key->value mappers, say
dbm/sdbm/gdbm/pstore/rbtree, and even stuff like Dict servers, LDAP
directories, or wikipedia.

The point that classes may be using some kind of hashing internally is
just an implementation detail. But, as I said, it's my fault to have
written such a misleading title. It was hard to fill all that blank
fields in the rcr page.

>what about something involving 'key' and
> 'value'?  or something using indexable with a refinement for things indexable
> by number, or by any object?  map may be the best work to describe this
> behaviour...

Interesting, I like the idea of micro interfaces/mixin and fine
grained refinements, but it's up to matz to decide.
<plug>
And, btw, if somebody like this, please take two minutes to vote at
rcrchive.net
</plug>