> I'm here. I hope to restart at some point, but other projects keep
> getting in the way.

I don't know if this is the right place, but reading this tread got me
to the "little ruby" book, so maybe you'll be patient with me. I got
stuck on page 9 of chapter 1, where it says:

How can a String represent an Integer?    A String with n characters
represents the  Integer n.

My confusion could come from the fact that English is not my mother
tongue, but if I replace n with 5 and read the sentence aloud, it says
"a string with 5 characters represents the integer 5". So the string
"hello", which has 5 characters, represents the integer 5?

That doesn't make much sense to me. What am I missing?

photis