On 6/16/04 4:41 PM, "Florian Weber" <csshsh / structbench.com> wrote:

> im really sorry. i think it was really misleading to give such a
> concret example. basically the example i gave is purely fictional.
>
> basically i was more wondering if overwriting methods (methods of
> the same class, not methods of a superclass) is a recommended
> good practice for functionality which can be plugged in or
> if such things should be done in a traditional way, where a object
> is 'plugged' in between, which decides if the additional functionality
> should be executed or not.

Well, methods can be replaced on classes at runtime as then can on instances
of classes.  Although changing class methods changes the behavior of all
instances (and _could_ be very bad), changing methods on objects can be very
powerful.  I don't see any reason not to do it if the design requires that
kind of changeable behavior.  But again, all these choices need to be
balanced against the requirements of what you are trying to do.

> sorry for the misunderstanding =)

No problem!

-rich