daz wrote:
> Joel VanderWerf wrote:
>
>>Time.parse is documented in ri, but doesn't seem to be defined. Do I
>>need to require something from the stdlib?
>>
>>I'm looking for an easy way to convert things like "4:30" to relative
>>values--seconds since "00:00:00". I can just parse manually, of course,
>>but was hoping for a standard way to do it, like
>>
>>Time.parse("4:30") - Time.parse("0:00")
>>

> Seems that it's an extension of the Time class by time.rb:
>
> require 'time'
> p Time.parse("4:30") - Time.parse("0:00")
>
> #=> 16200.0

Nice and easy. Thanks!

Next question:

irb(main):008:0> Time.parse("sljhfslf")
=> Wed Jun 16 17:31:44 PDT 2004

That's the same as Time.now. But ri Time.parse says:

      ArgumentError is raised if ParseDate cannot extract information
      from +date+ or Time class cannot represent specified date.

Is there any other way to validate a time?