Now I'm diving into Ruby/Tk and I have some newbie type questions...

Question 1: I'm creating a root window and then a subordinate TkToplevel.
The TkTopLevel is always drawn behind the root... I want it to start out in
front (changing the order of the display calls doesn't seem to matter).  How
can I change the Z-order of the windows?

Question 2: I'm seeing inconsistencies between different kinds of widget
invocation.  For example:

@variable = TkVariable.new
TkEntry.new(entryFrame, 'textvariable' => @variable)

works, however...

@variable = TkVariable.new
TkEntry.new(entryFrame) {
	textvariable variable
}

returns the following error:

/cygdrive/c/ruby/lib/ruby/1.6/tk.rb:2239:in `tk_trace_variable': requires
TkVariable given NilClass (ArgumentError)
	from /cygdrive/c/ruby/lib/ruby/1.6/tk.rb:2636:in `textvariable'

Similarly...

TkEntry.new(@window) {
      pack('side' => 'left')
}
TkButton.new(@window) {
      pack('side' => 'left')
}

correctly puts the two side by side left to right, however

TkEntry.new(@window) {
      pack {side 'left'}
}
TkButton.new(@window) {
      pack {side 'left}
}

puts the two items top to bottom.

The pickaxe book implies that in both cases the two forms should be
equivalent.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Noel Rappin