And lo, daz wrote:

> Josh Huber wrote:
> >
> > [...] for those who use clients which don't thread
> > messages. (i.e. Outlook, Outlook Express)
> >

> Hope I haven't chopped out important context but ... Wha_???
>
> Outlook Express maintains mail & news in databases with
> dual index trees (flat & threaded).
<snip>

What I believe Josh meant isn't threading as in real threads, but the subject line. It's kinda annoying when people's clients don't add the "Re: " header by default.

To note: The thread for this topic ('undefine') loooks like this

undefine (Original)
Re: undefine
Re: undefine
Re: undefine
undefine (Tony Summerfelt's reply)
undefine (ditto)
Re: undefine
Re: undefine
undefine (Summerfelt again)
Re: undefine

It makes one look twice when they're expecting a new topic (because of the lack of 'Re:') but it's actually a reply to an earlier post.

> I don't know how much better than *correct* threading can be.

Most email clients are easily capable of doing "correct" threading. But this isn't what Josh meant. My own client (Sylpheed Claws) excels at this.

- Walker