On Tuesday 15 June 2004 15:56, Jean-Hugues ROBERT wrote:
> At 06:46 16/06/2004 +0900, you wrote:
> >On Tuesday 15 June 2004 14:36, Austin Ziegler wrote:
> >> Sean O'Dell [mailto:sean / celsoft.com] :
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> Wrong. I commented specifically on what I saw as shortcomings of
> >> your testing library and what I thought a better action would have
> >> probably been. I *did* make comments about your attitude, proven in
> >> spades, but not an insult.
> >>
> >> Honestly, Sean: chill. Contribute to the community.
> >
> >I do contribute, and don't count on me "chilling" with anyone who holds
> >conversations with me the way some people do around here.  It's not going
> > to happen.  To get respect, give it, don't ask for it for the sake of
> > "the community."  You and several others have been entirely childish,
> > ignorant, obstinate, illiterate and willfully prideful, unwilling to
> > admit the simplest mistakes such as not knowing the meaning of the word
> > "arbitrary" and having to look it up and argue as if it's not a word used
> > every day in the English language but rather something to dissect and
> > twist around.
> >
> >Take the personal stuff private, and I'll do the same.  So long as it
> > comes out here, my replies will be here.  Anything worth replying to
> > posted here will be replied here.  If you want to go off-list, then email
> > me.
> >
> >        Sean O'Dell
>
> <META>
> Mailing list threads are great. I wish there would be two modes:
>   - Factual mode.
>   - Emotionnal mode.
> That way, people could filter out emotional stuff when they like facts
> only.
> </META>
>
> Back to emotions.
>
> Hum... I am still waiting for you to:
>   1) Admit that "arbitrary" means multiple things, most of them being
> very negative and that consequently using it did lead to confusion.

You're another one who seems overly concerned with getting certain kinds of
no harm when I used it, and that few words can be described with absolute
certainty.  If you want more, I suggest you adopt a dog; they will obey your
commands.

>   2) Find a better adjective, to contribute to cleaning the confusion.

Are you unaware that I removed the word "arbitrary" back when the thread began
and it was noted that its use was being taken badly?

> Now, having to look it up, as I did, is in no way the sign of
> a lack of knowledge, it is not a mistake either. I looked it up to provide
> *you* with some authoritative information, hoping that you would understand
> why "arbitrary" generated such confusion, due to its multiple meanings.

I looked it up, too, in three places, to make sure I wasn't mis-using the
word, as I had begun to suspect after the complaints started.  It turns out I
was correct, and several people in the thread agreed that my use was valid.

> In light of that information, you may understand that calling me:
>   "childish, ignorant, obstinate, illiterate and willfully prideful,
>   unwilling to admit the simplest mistakes"
> hurts my feelings. If you care about that I'll be happy to hear your
> apologies.

I'm sorry for hurting your feelings, I really am.

	Sean O'Dell