Sam Roberts wrote:

> Wrote daz:
> >
> > The other nine are from his uniserve.com account and there
> > is a trailing dot in the Message-Id: which may be upsetting
> > the g/way news host?  Example:

> For what it's worth, it's an invalid Message ID. I don't know
> who is generating it, either sendmail or mutt. Both might
> claim that there is a bug in whatever call they are making
> to the OS to get the host name, but its still wrong.
>
> Not sure what I can do about it, though.
>

> Cheers,
> Sam

AFAIK, Message-ID: is assigned by your ISP's mail server.
Mutt, or other MUAs compose headers that they know about
and sendmail sounds like the SMTP bit that takes care of
the journey between Mutt and your ISP.
So I don't think there's anything you can do apart from
pointing it out to your help desk.

What's weird is that your "invalid" message arrived
successfully at ruby-talk where it was remailed to the
list (again successfully), then posted as a news message
but rejected by the news host.
The only evidence I have of that is from my email inbox
but if, say, the remailer had invalidated the message -
I still received it.

If there's no other solution, I guess the g/way script
could change ID:s with trailing dot to (e.g.) dot invalid
    part_before_at / ensemble.local.invalid

daz