On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 03:45:50 +0900, you wrote:

>I think the whole point here is that it isn't Ruby-ish

i'm slowly learning the ruby way to do things...

>If you know Ruby well, there is almost certainly a way to do it that is
>just as reasonable and sensical as the Perl way, but it would be
>sensical for Ruby.

i get the feeling i'm well on my way once i finish my current
project...

>into Ruby, I would (assuming that Delta_DHMS() won't return nil) write
>'next unless diff.nil?', then later, 'diff = nil'. If there's a chance
>that the method might return nil, you can always use the trick Sean
>posted elsewhere on this thread.

of course, i don't want to force ruby code to look/act  like perl.
but i  DO want to keep 'the ruby way' if at all possible. later on
when i know ruby a lot better and  i have to go back to this code it
won't be too embarrassing :)

sometimes thinking in perl hampers me when i'm working in another
language...