On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 12:38:11AM +0900, Sam Roberts wrote:

> I'm probably slightly out of the "envelope of normal" that
> the g/way script is expecting, I use OS X at home, but I use
> it like a Unix box, I do all my mail with Mutt.
>
> For what it's worth, it's an invalid Message ID. I don't know
> who is generating it, either sendmail or mutt. Both might
> claim that there is a bug in whatever call they are making
> to the OS to get the host name, but its still wrong.

Uhm, not to be a RFC nazi, but what do you base that on? Ol' 822
define Message-Id as addr-spec, which is pretty much an 'email
address', which obviously ends in a domain name. And, say,
'ruby-lang.org.' is a valid domain name, as domains in fact are routed
in '.' (much like the filesystem starts at /). Something you learn the
hard way when fiddling with BIND zone files, forget the ending dot and
find out that your alias to another domain name instead points at a
subdomain of the same name.

But if something doesn't like that, we should probably fix it on the
way..

> By the way, this is valid, too:
>
>   Message-iD   :

Oh, thanks for pointing that out, gotta remember that the next time I
do something header munging...

--
Thomas
beast / system-tnt.dk