On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 09:14:52 +0900, Gavin Sinclair
<gsinclair / soyabean.com.au> wrote:

> On Sunday, June 13, 2004, 6:53:47 AM, Joel wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to set up one's own gem repository and select it from the
> > gem command line? I'm looking for ways of distributing software that is
> > of no real interest to the ruby community, but is needed by a few people
> > where I work.
>
> It sure is.... in the future.
>
> If you have all the gems you want installed, then you _can_ serve them
> up.  Just run gem_server.
>
> Then, *if* you can get other people to include
> http://your-machine:8808 in their remote "sources", they will be able
> to install the gems from your machine.
>
> Hopefully one of the other RubyGems gurus can answer that *if*.  I
> mean, you could hack it into
> /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/sources-0.0.1/sources.rb, but there might
> be a better way.

There isn't a better way yet.  It's been a desired feature for a while
that hasn't reached the top of the list.  It's incredibly simple to
implement, so we could probably get it in for the next version.

Obviously, the idea behind gem_server was to make it easy for people
to serve their gems--specifically in a peer-to-peer kind of way (for
example, at a conference or a hacking session).

Chad