>Most programmers
>never get to that level, so there are a lot of programmers out there who,
>when asked to do something they simply can't do, defend themselves by
saying
>it shouldn't be easy to use/learn in the first place.

Whoa...I don't recall ever seeing anyone say that something shouldn't be
easy to use/learn on this thread. I think *common sense* should apply here.
If you are unwilling to take the time to learn something then don't go cry
wolf and say that it isn't *intuitive* enough. It also isn't that developers
cannot do something, there are so many hours in a day, days in a week, weeks
in a year and then you have to bring home a paycheck so you can put food on
the table. You have to weigh and balance what is needed for the product to
be benefecial to the user, and you need to be able to have it developed in a
worthwhile time. I would love to write you an OS that is so intuitive a
three year old could use it without any help...however who's going to fork
over the cash and wait n number of years for it to be developed?

>That mentality is, thankfully, going away as more and more truly brilliant
>programmers are putting some of their time into newer open source projects,
>instead of only into commercial ones.  KDE is one good example of how that
>way of thinking is fading away in the *nix community.

It isn't that that *way* of thinking is fading away...it took many years of
developer building blocks to get to the point to where developers can start
focusing on projects so intensely like KDE. You have to lay a foundation,
and the build the walls before you can hang pretty pictures on it. Now that
I think about it...building a house isn't intuitive enough....I should be
able to build my own without ever having to learn how to build ;) right?

>The command line interface, though, is a tough nut to crack because it's
been
>around so long.  If it were being developed from scratch today, surely
there
>are enough inexperienced computers users that you could probably design
>something that's both powerful and intuitive to use.

The CLI does what is needed to do. It isn't evolving because there is no
need for it to evolve. That is why people are developing GUI's. Eventually
sometime I'm sure it will evolve, but at the moment there doesn't seem to be
a need besides a ...wouldn't it be nice.

Zach

---