Karl von Laudermann [mailto:doodpants / mailinator.com] :
> Neil Stevens <neil @ hakubi.us> :
>> I don't understand why it matters what the file names are for
>> libraries. What are you going to do if/when ruby starts getting
>> some preprocessing like Python gets? If you're hard-coding the
>> full file names that'll break your scripts, won't it?
> I'm talking about my own multi-file Ruby programs, not libraries.
> If my main script uses require or load to access the other scripts
> in the same directory, I either have to name those other scripts
> with .rb, or include the extension in the require/load command.

> Or am I the only one who splits my larger Ruby programs into
> several files for managability? Maybe it's just a habit I've
> carried over from Java.

No, I do that. But when I do that, I tend to do:

  program         # no extension, but #!/usr/bin/env ruby at the top
  program.bat     # wrapper to "program" for Windows users.
  lib/program/    # all of the supporting stuff for the program is
                  # in a private lib directory. 'program' uses
                  # $:.unshift ".\lib" to make this work.

-austin
--
austin ziegler * austin.ziegler / evault.com