On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 09:56, Michael Campbell wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 22:48:30 +0900, Tom Copeland <tom / infoether.com> wrote:
>
> > > I'd be afraid to hire a code-monkey who said yes.
> >
> > Hm.  Do you feel that there's a different calling to which a programmer
> > should aspire?  I mean... "architect", or some such?
>
> Maybe not some specific calling, but one should have SOME aspiration
> to "move up/on" occasionally; I THINK that's what he was getting at.

Yup, I agree that that's what he was getting at.  But is "architect" the
sort of thing that one would move up to?  Or maybe "CIO" or some other
non-technical sort of thing?

Or were you just thinking of "moving on" in the sense of moving to a
different type of programming - i.e., embedded vs web or some such?

I guess I'm just interested in exploring what folks think a programmer
should aspire to move on to.

Yours,

Tom