On Wednesday,  9 June 2004 at  3:52:21 +0900, Sean O'Dell wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 June 2004 10:03, Michael Campbell wrote:
> > > Non-college grads, though, never got hired unless they could prove their
> > > experience.
> >
> > Sounds like the fault of those hiring.
>
> I think my last truly bad experience regarding people with CS degrees goes
> back to early/mid-90's.  Also, I've been mostly solo since about 1999, so
> things could be a lot different in real "companies" these days.

Maybe it depends on what your are doing, but I'm afraid for some
things it hasn't changed much. My belief (don't flame me) is that
those with inexperience do OK when they are working on things that
give visible feedback, like GUI's and such, but take number
crunching or data processing where errors don't readily
reveal themselves (unless you code defensively), then they tend to make
a lot of mistakes and/or leave behind a bunch of land mines.

--
Jim Freeze
Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?