On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, Ben Tilly wrote:

> Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng <hgs / dmu.ac.uk> wrote:
> >
> >Given the existence of Tk widget demos in Ruby, and the net/telnet module,
> >is there any chance that someone has already written a decent telnet client
> >in Ruby yet?  The std Win98 one emulates a vt100 -- i.e no colour, so no
> >syntax highlighting for Ruby on our (remote) Suns.
>
> Why invent the wheel?  Try putty:

Only because I could not find a wheel that was free, and also as an
example program....

> http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/
>
> Glancing at the FAQ it looks like its xterm emulation
> handles ANSI colors.

  Thanks, I will look at this.

> Oh, and you can throw out telnet and turn on ssh
> instead. :-)

  Another File.open("/dev/can/worms") {}  I have to look at.
  The licencing of ssh was difficult for commercailly sponsored
  research and I've yet to look at openssh.   There are ntp
  servers, but I want a server to give me more time (full stop|period).
  :-)

> Cheers,
> Ben

	Hugh