On Friday 04 June 2004 21:43, Ara.T.Howard wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Jun 2004, Sean O'Dell wrote:
> > I need to detect when an object is a hash-like container for other
> > objects, one which responds to [] and which can index using any object as
> > a value (string, etc.).
>
> create a module that is a ducktype 'flag' for hashables
>
>    module HashingObject; end
>
> add it to hash - a bit ugly, but does nothing
>
>    class Hash; include HashingObject; end
>
> bless any class you deem good anough with the module

Funny, this is similar to an idea I had once about flagging objects as
implementing certain kinds of interfaces.  I think this will actually do the
trick for me nicely.  I'll just pre-tag all the objects I need to id and then
go from there.  Too bad something like this isn't built-in; it would be nice
to get an automatic error when the object type is wrong.

	Sean O'Dell