Paul Brannan wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 09:48:00AM +0900, Jim Weirich wrote:
>>The truth is that Ruby's / operator is broken.
>
> I strongly disagree.  It is mathn that is broken, not the / operator.

Hi Paul!  I still think / is broken, even without considering mathn.
There are two separate operations intdiv and floatdiv with different
semantics.  / will do one or the other, but you don't know which one it
is unless you know the exact types of the operands.  I don't know of a
single algorithm where this polymorphism is useful.  And *every* use of
/ must process (check or convert) any operand that comes from outside
your local code.  This is broken in my opinion.

This is one area where (IMHO) Python took the right choice.  (I can't
believe I said that).

Anyways, this is obviously an area where reasonable people can have
different opinions.

Take care.

Matz:  Thanks for pointing out quo.  I missed that one.