Raphael Bauduin wrote:

> I just tested it and it seems really easy to link Classes to tables.
> However, I encountered
> a blocking problem: it seems the column that's the primary key has to
> be named id. From the code
> in the docs
> (http://ar.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActiveRecord/Base.html#M000057) it
> seems this is hardcoded.
> Is it planned to have the name of the "id column" extracted from the
> database, or at least to let the user specify a name. I have none of
> my columns name id.... :-)

I usually prefer to name my primary ID columns <tablename>id just to
avoid confusion.  For example, the primary key of the user table is
called userid.  On many-table JOINS it gets confusing to have a lot of
IDs floating around.  So I agree that being able to change the id column
to something else would be handy.  Another thing that some people might
be confused about is when you have a table whose primary key consists of
multiple columns that are combinatorially unique.  In these cases I
think the solution is to add an integer primary key and use it for the
ID column, and then make a unique index across the fields that you wish
to be combinatorially unique.

Carl