Wrote Paul Brannan <pbrannan / atdesk.com>, on Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 10:59:07PM +0900:
> On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 09:48:00AM +0900, Jim Weirich wrote:
> > Robert Klemme wrote:
> > Then your code will break whenever it is used in a program that requires
> > "mathn".  You should always use div if you want integer division.

> > The truth is that Ruby's / operator is broken.
>
> I strongly disagree.  It is mathn that is broken, not the / operator.

I agree, mathn's / operator is broken, not Ruby's!

> I've said it before and I will say it again.  Code that changes builtin
> classes without a really good reason (YAML is one such example) is
> broken.  See [ruby-talk:81923] for what I've written in the past on this
> subject.
>
> If we get selector namespaces in ruby 2.0, then mathn can be rewritten
> such that users can get floating-point division with / in their
> namespace only.  Until then I recommend not using mathn.

I think that the ability to extend the builtins is amazingly useful, but
I avoid using it in libraries because I can't do scope control.

Can somebody point me to a description, or ruby-talk thread, of how this
"selector" mechanism is going to work? Is it decided? I think its a
very, very interesting idea.

Cheers,
Sam

--