"daz" <dooby / d10.karoo.co.uk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:XbKcnaD6gbo1ByLdSa8jmA / karoo.co.uk...

> Robert Klemme wrote:
> >
> > daz wrote:
> > >
> > > Still, if anyone can explain why I can post with "In-Reply-To:"
> > > but without "References:" in the headers but Dennis can't, please
> > > post a reference [...]
> >
> > I think Dennis meant to say that this doesn't work for mail2news:
> >
> > Dennis at Tue, 01 Jun 2004 17:09:27 +0200:
> > Subject: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 17:09:27 +0200
> >
> > > I'm not absolutely convinced that the problem is solved 100%. The
bug
> > > we solved today was that messages with an 'In-Reply-To'-header, but
> > > without a 'References'-header were rejected by the NNTP host,
because
> > > it is a violation of the corresponding RFC. The solution was as
simple
> > > as the problem - adding a 'References'-header with the same msg-id
as
> > > the 'In-Reply-To'-header solved at least _this_ problem.
> >
> > As far as I can see, you post via news.  Is that correct?
> >

> <Late response>
>
> Normally, but that was sent using the gateway software running
> on my machine.  I subscribed to ruby-talk, chose that message,
> and pushed it through.
>
> As I said elsewhere, if Dennis's news service saw it as invalid, it
> should be ignored then passed around Usenet until it reaches Giganews
> and Google and all the others which _don't_ think it's invalid and it
> should appear normally for users of those other services.
>
> I think that his error messages are coming from his NNTP host between
> rubygate and Usenet and the posts are not getting to Usenet.
> The RFC to which he refers must be describing the standards imposed
> by his NNTP host, not Usenet.

I think I need a clarification here: my understanding so far was, that
"Usenet" denotes the system of distributed news groups, while "NNTP" is
the protocol used for the transmission of news articles between servers.
Are there additional protocols used for news exchange?

Thx

    robert