"Thomas Fini Hansen" <beast / system-tnt.dk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:20040603194814.GE14028 / saber.xen.dk...

> Arg, *bleeping* Microsoft *bleeping* us all again, by ignoring an
> established standard, and instead inventing their own...
>
> If they at least had the courtesy to add in the normal headers too,
> it's not like it's rocket science, but no..
>
> If someone could figure out what the *bleep* Thread-Index is, it might
> be possible, with a lot of state on the gateway, to make an educated
> guess at where it was supposed to be in the thread and fake the
> appropiate headers.
>
> An alternative would be storing the last message-id for each 'topic',
> and just pretend that the MS mails was replies to that. It's cheaper
> and and should usually gets the message in the right region.

> > - my solution: as mua's are more or less allowed to do whatever they
> >   want my fear is that we get more and more of such borderline cases
> >   so the only solution is that we establish identical posting policies
> >   on both the mailing-list host and the gateway/nntp host we're
posting
> >   too. (ML-Maintainers? Any Comments on this one?)
>
> Oh, a world without Outlook.. As much as I'd love to see that, it's
> not an option either. Unless someone could come up with a gateway that
> fixes posts from Outlook. Secondly, there's webmails out there that
> has similar problems.

You're bashing the wrong pig here.  "Outlook" itself does no news (at
least older versions, I'm not fully up to date).  Instead it delegated
news handling to "Outlook Express" - a whole differnt piece of software
(which I am using btw).  "Outlook Express" does a nice job inserting
"References" headers, which you can verify with this posting.

MS does a lot of evil, but they are not always the ones to blame.

Kind regards

    robert