"Dennis Oelkers" <oelkers / zrz.TU-Berlin.DE> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:c9nbnn$p3v$1 / mamenchi.zrz.TU-Berlin.DE...
> Hello David, ruby-talk, c.l.r.,
>
> David A. Black wrote:
> > The remaining problem seems to be subject lines with "Re:" in them,
> > when there are no In-Reply-To and References: headers.  This
> > apparently makes the NNTP server flag the message as a followup and
> > then be unhappy because there's no reference.
>
> My further investigations proved that this is really the problem. The
> symptoms are the same as with the first problem (I get a 441 - "Followup
> without a reference" - when posting the mail to the newsgroup), but this
> time the solution is non-trivial. The first case ("In-Reply-To" flag in
> header but not "References" flag) was solved by adding the missing flag
> by duplicating the message-id of the "In-Reply-To" flag. In this case
> both flags are missing. The MUA which was used by Austin Ziegler adds
> "Thread-Topic" / "Thread-Index" flags to the header which are supposed
> to solve the threading, but this is not applicable to Usenet.

This is bad news...

> This leads to the conclusion that we have three possible solutions:
> - Add an "In-Reply-To"/"References" flag to the header by using the
>    message-id of THAT mail => the message would appear on c.l.r., but
>    threading would be broken

That's my favorite.  It would be even better if the GW could figure the
correct message id and insert that.  But with these headers it seems quite
impractical.

> - drop the message on the floor at the gateway => ruby-talk / c.l.r.
>    are inconsistent

Not really a solution, is it?

> - my solution: as mua's are more or less allowed to do whatever they
>    want my fear is that we get more and more of such borderline cases
>    so the only solution is that we establish identical posting policies
>    on both the mailing-list host and the gateway/nntp host we're posting
>    too. (ML-Maintainers? Any Comments on this one?)

I guess this is impractical since it sounds like this would rule out some
mail clients.  People will not be happy about that.

> Btw: I won't be able to re-feed the messages which were not posted to
> c.l.r. because my suspicion that they get rejected because of their age
> became true. Sorry for that, but DAB will probably put them on a http-
> accessible location.

DAB as in http://www.dab.de/ :-)))

Regards

    robert