Hi --

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Michael Neumann wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 07:25:41AM +0900, David A. Black wrote:
>
> > But you've still got a "have to write" case -- meaning, when you write
> > #meth, above, you still can't just write "a / b".  So if the problem
> > is that you forget to write "a.to_f" instead of "a", you're still in
> > danger of forgetting to write "/." instead of "/".
>
> Sure, but when at the time of writing #meth, you think parameters a and
> b will always be floats (and of course you don't document it, because
> it's a quick hack :), you'll get in trouble later (e.g. meth(1,2) vs.
> meth(1.0, 2.0)). So you want use fdiv, as you expect the division to be
> a floating point division (and for me that's the usual case).

OK, but what I mean is: given the same problem, you can also solve it
with to_f, and it should be no more or less difficult to remember than
remembering to use fdiv.  (Assuming I'm following your argument
correctly.)  I'm just making the conservative argument with regard to
change.

David

--
David A. Black