* Paul Vudmaska <paul / vudmaska.com> [0606 18:06]:
> >>I dont have the mysql.h  header file on my system - perhaps installed
> >>through rpm? No developer pack. No header files.

> >You need those.

> Took me awhile but i figured that out. It is not exactly clear from any
> of the docs from anywhere i could find. My inexperience with linux has
> been a real detriment to my health the last month.

Not your fault, it's RedHats. Having the headers in a separate RPM
is a bloody stupid idea.

> >>[root@u15154846 include]# locate mysql.h
> >>/usr/local/lib/mysql-standard-4.0.20-pc-linux-i686/include/mysql.h
> >>
> >>I have not installed mysql 4 above yet and when i point
> >>--with-mysql-include to that dir it still fails.

It looks like there's bits of an install left behind in usr/local.

> In lieu of  grabbing the dev packages i installed 4.0 - headers and all.
> Then ran through dbi, mysql-ruby(pointing to new headers) - pointing
> mysql-ruby to
> the headers installed. Life was good. Untill i tried running selects.
> Where all goes south - exhibiting the same symptoms as my current host.

> I'm using apache 2 here - was 1.3 - so it aint apache. I'm 90% sure it
> has some library incompatibility in mysql 4.0.

It being ruby? To be honest I only threw in the DBI stuff and
checked it could connect and read tables/databases, so maybe.

> I could move back to 3.23, but then, i'd just be back where i was.

No that shouldn't matter, from the output below I thought you
wanted 3.23.
> >>ruby 1.81
> >>redhat
> >>mysql-ruby 2.4.5
> >>mysql 3.23

> My introduction to open source, especially over the last 6 months, has
> been rewarding and harrowing. Open sources' achilles heel is that only
> the sharpest tools
> in the toolbox are allowed to play

I don't think that's true so much anymore, I think you've just had
trouble because the build of mysql you have is screwed.
Have you tried just building from source? I know this is seen as
'l33t' by a lot of new users, but to be honest it's usually the
safest way to get a working system. Beats the usual 'this rpm was
compiled for somelib version bla, go get that' nonsense.

--
Spare no expense to save money on this one.
		-- Samuel Goldwyn