On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 01:04:55PM +0200, Lothar Scholz wrote:
> Hello Michael,
>
> MN> On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 06:08:39AM +0900, Ken Hilton wrote:
> >> Does anyone know of a Ruby source code obfuscator that's reliable and
> >> readily available?  If so, I'd appreciate a pointer to it (apparently, both
> >> ruby-lang and rubygarden are down at the time of this posting so I can't
> >> check for myself.)
>
> MN> Take a look at bRuby. It can dump the interal node-tree and then load it
> MN> again (as far as I understand it). No Ruby sourcecode anymore. See also
> MN> the Exerb project.
>
> MN> http://bruby.sourceforge.jp/index.en.html
>
> But this is easy to reverse. It does not much more then removing the

Hm, I thought, a node-dump does not contain the variable names (local
variables), or at least does not require them for execution? I am
probably wrong.

Hm, sure, the method names must be stored. But one could modify the
interpreter to only store hashes of the method names, and use them to
call the methods. That might give quite good obfusciation.

Regards,

  Michael