Ralf M?ller wrote:
> Hi out there,
> this is my first question and i hope it's not too simple.
>
> I know ruby for 1 month and get really facinated of it. But after installation
> in "irb - mode" i got these escape-seqs when hitting arrows.
> I thought, this has something to do with the 'readline'-functionallitiy; but
> any changes in <rub<-src-path>/ext/Setup did not lead to improvement.
>
> while the other libraries get compiled, nothing happens to the files is
> ext/readline.
>
> Any Hints?

That probably means GNU readline is not installed on your system. It's a
separate library from ruby, and the ext/readline stuff will not build
without it. If you're installing RPMs, you need you make sure you
install the devel RPM, as I remember. Or you can just build readline
from source. You can get tarballs at your local GNU mirror.