How about supplying a modified ruby interpreter? The only difference
between this one and the standard one is that it only reads encrypted
files that decrypt with the compiled in key or a key that in itself is
obfuscated in a file. This would mean that you don't need to supply
readable source, in fact to the end user it would look like native or
byte code. You could extend this to have the code signed or something
if you wished.

J.