> Pstore is a bit too simple as I need something that handles multiple
> clients and I don't really want to write a transaction engine(I'm
> hardly qualified), so MySQL(or Post) would be my first choice. I just
> really wanted to know if using the MySQL ruby libraries would be faster
> or slower than the File ruby library. How well would ruby handle
> passing binary data to MySQL? How fast would it be? Should I just stick
> to file operations?
>
> Sven

I'd be extremely surprised if any database could give you the data faster
than a filesystem can.  Certainly not a DB server like MySQL.

SQLite would give you the data quite fast if it could find it quickly
(e.g. with good indexes), since it's basically a file anyway.  This would
be a good trade-off between performance and convenience, as the database
*is* a single file so you can take it anywhere.

If you go with the filesystem, be careful not to put too many files in one
directory.  If each file is named something benign like

  D0342345.dat
  D0343351.dat

then a good strategy might be to arrange them like this:

  D/03/42/34/5/D0342345.dat
  D/03/43/35/1/D0343351.dat

That way, the database just remembers "D0343351" and the path to that file
becomes completely predictable and easy for the filesystem to resolve.

This technique applies to some filesystems more than others and I haven't
used it myself, but know someone who did with thousands of user records,
"indexed" on user ID.

Cheers,
Gavin