Dick Davies wrote:

>* Paul Vudmaska <paul / vudmaska.com> [0501 09:01]:
>

>>I'm still messing with mysql-ruby. I'm not giving up.
>>

>Attaboy :)

:)

>>I dont have the mysql.h  header file on my system - perhaps installed
>>through rpm? No developer pack. No header files.
>>

>You neet those.

Took me awhile but i figured that out. It is not exactly clear from any
of the docs from anywhere i could find. My inexperience with linux has
been a real detriment to my health the last month.

>>[root@u15154846 include]# locate mysql.h
>>/usr/share/doc/courier-imap-1.7.3/README.authmysql.html
>>/usr/share/doc/courier-imap-3.0.1/README.authmysql.html
>>/usr/local/lib/mysql-standard-4.0.20-pc-linux-i686/include/mysql.h
>>
>>I have not installed mysql 4 above yet and when i point
>>--with-mysql-include to that dir it still fails.
>>
>>Would this be the reason why i'm unable to get past extconf.rb, and ill
>>it's iterations?
>>

>I'd ignore that one, you want the headers for the version you run.

I want/need to run 4.0. One of the reasons i've made the fateful
decision to move to another host was to, hopefully,
avoid the 'mysql has gone away' error (if you see that sob tell him to
get his ass back in the box!) I  _understand_ this is  fixed with 4.0.
The linux admin, which fixed
the problem, i'm running 4.0 with dbi:mysql, i mute on how he fixed it.
Pissing me off to no end.

In lieu of  grabbing the dev packages i installed 4.0 - headers and all.
Then ran through dbi, mysql-ruby(pointing to new headers) - pointing
mysql-ruby to
the headers installed. Life was good. Untill i tried running selects.
Where all goes south - exhibiting the same symptoms as my current host.
I'm using apache 2 here - was 1.3 - so it aint apache. I'm 90% sure it
has some library incompatibility in mysql 4.0.

>Yes. mysql-ruby needs the includes (the headers) to know how
>to use the mysql libraries.
>
>I just got it working with CVS ruby on NetBSD, on a Linux it
>should be simpler. But install mysql-3.23-devel. then try extconf again.

I could move back to 3.23, but then, i'd just be back where i was.

>>ruby 1.81
>>redhat
>>mysql-ruby 2.4.5
>>mysql 3.23

My introduction to open source, especially over the last 6 months, has
been rewarding and harrowing. Open sources' achailles heel is that only
the sharpest tools
in the toolbox are allowed to play. M$, with all the money in the world
and uber marketing skill aside,  has penetrated virtually every market
because the average joes like myself can be productive - or at least
think he is :). Even when i fix this my next big project will be in .Net
and this list will be free of my pithy, dim witted comments. Like this one.

Get a freaking forum. Developers with skills on both ends of the spectum
will be more productive. You need a better way(subjective) to seperate
the wheat from the chaff - the esoteric from the 'why this does not
work'. It will get better over time.
Oranization.Orginaization.Organization.
Put ruby on rails( or some such) on the fast track. Develop a killer app
with it.Use that app in a high profile setting - like Ruby-lang.org.
Emulate what is best
out there. Make it better. Make it pretty. Make it easy to install.
Get off your high horse. If some dumb ass comes in and says 'python
rocks' - there might be some merit to his story. Listen before you jab.

I really do appreciate you answering.