On 12/15/05, James Britt <james_b / neurogami.com> wrote:

> Coding applications in Ruby without taking full advantage of what makes
> Ruby Ruby is like walking up a hill backwards.  You'll get where you
> want to go, but it could be so much nicer.
>
> A guide to libraries would be handy, but indeed many are ephemeral or in
> flux, and learning a set of distinct APIs for one thing or another is no
> substitute for a proper understanding of Ruby itself.
>
> It's the difference between being a [application|library] scripter and a
> Ruby programmer.

'The Ruby Way' handles metaprogramming and other advanced topics in a
very cursory manner. More than half of The Ruby Way was concerned with
Ruby's libraries. But many of you seem to expect the second edition to
completely shift it's focus. I don't know how that's going to happen
just by ripping out 100 pages and adding 250 pages considering all the
new stuff from that keyword soup is going in.

Aren't there "Advanced Ruby" books in japanese that could be
translated? I've been hoping for a long time someone would translate
that "Ruby Internals" book and others like it. But all I see is
another cookbook from O'Reilly and a bunch of Rails books. There's a
huge market here. I, for example, would buy any book that says
"Advanced Ruby" on the cover (without even bothering to open the book
and check out the contents) :-)

--
gavri
http://www.livejournal.com/users/ga_woo/