"Sven Schott" <sven_schott / compnow.com.au> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:17CE3692-B365-11D8-A071-000A9571732E / compnow.com.au...
> I am writing a very simple web based file/asset manager. I was
> initially thinking of simply creating a database with the info on each
> file and keeping the files in the filesystem. However, I have begun to
> wonder if having the files in a database would be faster(or slower).
> Has anybody had any experience with this sort of thing? Would large
> databases slow things down? Should I just keep stuff on the filesystem?
> I have had some issues on the DB with encoding types. I probably
> wouldn't want to base64 encode everything. ;)
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Generally speaking a database might be the better solution if you otherwise
ended up with thousands of files per single directory.  In this scenario,
file systems typically don't perform well.  I'm not sure about more recent
developments of file systems, since they evolve towards database
functionality (transactions, support for many small objects (i.e. files) and
the like).

You could have a database table like [fileName VARCHAR(1024), fileData
BLOB)] with an index on "fileName" for fast access.  Maybe you need an
additional ordering column if your files are so big that they don't fit a
single blob field of the database you are using.  If you want to store meta
data (file creation and modification time, size etc.) you'll need even more
columns (and / or tables).

Kind regards

    robert