I am writing a very simple web based file/asset manager. I was
initially thinking of simply creating a database with the info on each
file and keeping the files in the filesystem. However, I have begun to
wonder if having the files in a database would be faster(or slower).
Has anybody had any experience with this sort of thing? Would large
databases slow things down? Should I just keep stuff on the filesystem?
I have had some issues on the DB with encoding types. I probably
wouldn't want to base64 encode everything. ;)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards

Sven Schott