On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Dave Thomas wrote:

> Mathieu Bouchard <matju / cam.org> writes:
>
> > In particular, none of them define "out of range",
>
> in our sense, we meant greater than the index of the highest element
> currently in the array.
>
> > someArray[2..1]		#=> []		YOW!
> > someArray[2..0]		#=> nil		ok
>
> I think this is equivalent to
>
>   someArray[3,0]  #=> []
>   someArray[3,-1] #=> nil
>
> That is, there's a different between a zero length slice and an
> invalid slice.

Actually once upon a time I prepared a patch to introduce negative
slices which would work like positive, but return reversed array
instead. I wasn't too sure there's really need for the added
complexity.

OTOH, there's so much complexity already that in the name of
consistency we might like to recheck if it would be a good idea.

    - Aleksi

Ps. Goes without mentioning those patches are lost long ago.