On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 05:01:30PM +0900, Paul Vudmaska wrote:
> %$@#%$ i know i've abused this list with more questions than answers but
> i dont know who else to ask.
> I'm willing to set a phpBB for these stupid newby tricks and avoid some
> of this drivel if anyone is interested. I'd like to contribute something
> other than q's. A bb would better support things like 'why is ruby
> better than python', 'what makes a web app framework'- a section for
> those would work nicely
> and could get better over time and other questions that are redundant.
> Or has this been brought up.
>
> I like _using_ ruby but working in it's environment has really kicked my
> ass. Installation problems in particular.
>
> I'm still messing with mysql-ruby. I'm not giving up.
>
> I dont have the mysql.h  header file on my system - perhaps installed
> through rpm? No developer pack. No header files.
> [root@u15154846 include]# locate mysql.h
> /usr/share/doc/courier-imap-1.7.3/README.authmysql.html
> /usr/share/doc/courier-imap-3.0.1/README.authmysql.html
> /usr/local/lib/mysql-standard-4.0.20-pc-linux-i686/include/mysql.h
>
> I have not installed mysql 4 above yet and when i point
> --with-mysql-include to that dir it still fails.
>
> Would this be the reason why i'm unable to get past extconf.rb, and ill
> it's iterations?

Could you please send the exact output of extconf.rb as well as with
which parameters you started it (exactly)!
If there's a source rpm for mysql or a developer package, please install
them too.

And please keep in mind that this might (or might not) be more a problem
of your OS than of Ruby (there are lot's of OSes out there where
installing mysql-ruby just works). Of course this does not help you
much... and of course lacking support of ruby packages in redhat is not
good for ruby.

Regards,

  Michael