%$@#%$ i know i've abused this list with more questions than answers but
i dont know who else to ask.
I'm willing to set a phpBB for these stupid newby tricks and avoid some
of this drivel if anyone is interested. I'd like to contribute something
other than q's. A bb would better support things like 'why is ruby
better than python', 'what makes a web app framework'- a section for
those would work nicely
and could get better over time and other questions that are redundant.
Or has this been brought up.

I like _using_ ruby but working in it's environment has really kicked my
ass. Installation problems in particular.

I'm still messing with mysql-ruby. I'm not giving up.

I dont have the mysql.h  header file on my system - perhaps installed
through rpm? No developer pack. No header files.
[root@u15154846 include]# locate mysql.h
/usr/share/doc/courier-imap-1.7.3/README.authmysql.html
/usr/share/doc/courier-imap-3.0.1/README.authmysql.html
/usr/local/lib/mysql-standard-4.0.20-pc-linux-i686/include/mysql.h

I have not installed mysql 4 above yet and when i point
--with-mysql-include to that dir it still fails.

Would this be the reason why i'm unable to get past extconf.rb, and ill
it's iterations?

ruby 1.81
redhat
mysql-ruby 2.4.5