Shannon Fang wrote:

> Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. A bit more information
> about the plan of project:
>
> 1) It is a database driven web application, providing users a list of
> components to compare, read information, add to shoping carts etc. but
> it does NOT deal with payment system.
>
> 2) The application may be hosted on a shared server provided by a
> hosting company, in this case, I think the most appropriate option
> might be PHP, because there aren't any hosting company offering
> mod_ruby etc, as far as I know. However,
>
> 3) It may also be hosted on our own server, in this case, the apache
> server will be dedicated to this application, so I guess the shared
> memory problem of mod_ruby may not be a big issue.
>
> In fact I am quite happy with the style of ASP or PHP (mixed code with
> HTML), but not so happy with the language used, so I would try to use
> ruby.  I am also interested in template system, but I am not sure if
> they are "self-contained" or not, i.e., can I do *everything* in the
> template system, including database read/write... and do I need to use
> mod_ruby or eRuby in addition to the template system... I will read
> more about the Rail and kwartz system.
>
> Thanks,
> Shannon

> Want to block unwanted pop-ups? Download the free MSN Toolbar now!
> http://toolbar.msn.co.uk/

Hosts that support ruby...

rootr.net - seems to have done it for the longest. I'm just moving from
them - mostly cause of the latency - they are in hong kong - should have
seen my clients
    eyes whey i told him his stuff was in hong kong :). Fairly pleased,
other than that.

Hub.org - They run a virtual machine - meaning you would have a sandbox
to play in. Support was...fragmented. Ruby install is not
complete(-mod_ruby).

cihost.com - Nice deal on a dedicated box. 1 setup 29 a month. They get
kind of bristly when you ask them to install ruby,mod_ruby - it can be
challenging as they've found out.. I've got my stuff running there now -
but am looking into moving. Now that mod_ruby, dbi, mysql-ruby has been
fixed, they want 150 an hour to fix php which was broken trying to fix
myql-ruby. Dont ask me how or why or anything - i've not heard, after
asking several times.

1and1. Dedictated box. 99 setup 49 a month. No ruby.

Which brings me to my next question, who out there wants to take a shot
at this install on redhat 9.2? The criteria is, you will have to charge
less than 150 an hour. Installing it myself i believe the
incombatibility has come from mysql 4.0, which i insisted on - hoping to
avoid 'mysql has gone away' errors, but, i think, whacks some of the
libraries used between dbi, and, interestingly, php(word from the admin
that installed things) any one hear of that??. Someone willing to do
that, give me the price(and something about your background), and i'll
give you the keys. Maybe you could hook this Shannon up as well - 2 for
1 deal :)