Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. A bit more information about
the plan of project:

1) It is a database driven web application, providing users a list of
components to compare, read information, add to shoping carts etc. but it
does NOT deal with payment system.

2) The application may be hosted on a shared server provided by a hosting
company, in this case, I think the most appropriate option might be PHP,
because there aren't any hosting company offering mod_ruby etc, as far as I
know. However,

3) It may also be hosted on our own server, in this case, the apache server
will be dedicated to this application, so I guess the shared memory problem
of mod_ruby may not be a big issue.

In fact I am quite happy with the style of ASP or PHP (mixed code with
HTML), but not so happy with the language used, so I would try to use ruby.
I am also interested in template system, but I am not sure if they are
"self-contained" or not, i.e., can I do *everything* in the template system,
including database read/write... and do I need to use mod_ruby or eRuby in
addition to the template system... I will read more about the Rail and
kwartz system.

Thanks,
Shannon

http://toolbar.msn.co.uk/