why the lucky stiff <ruby-talk / whytheluckystiff.net> wrote:
> Martin Pirker wrote:

> The String#to_yaml method uses a routine to find a good fit for whatever
>  string you're passing in.  It might be because there are some
> non-printables or some whitespace that needs to be preserved.
>
> In the last few weeks I've recoded alot of that logic.  I think it is
> becoming superior.  (Try Ruby CVS.)
>
> If you want to force certain objects to be block literals (indicated by
> the pipe character), you can create `to_yaml_fold' methods for those
> objects.  Either do it in the class definition or in the singleton.

I'd prefer the "one line" style for archival and easy interfacing
to others, but the "normal" style for debugging.
So choice with parameter.

Some articles dumped with double line spacing (ugly...), but setting
"Bestwidth=>200" helped.

I searched for line-breaks, indentations or other special chars but couldn't
figure out for now what's triggering which style.

I'm running "ruby 1.8.1 (2004-04-24) [i686-linux.gnu]"

> The emitter isn't equipped to dump inline arrays currently.  Shortly it
> will be available similiar to what you see above.

ok

> Sure.  All the YAML loading/parsing methods accept IO objects.  If the
> file has a bz2 suffix, use the BZ2::Reader.
[...]

Thanks!

Martin