Hello Jim,

JF> On Thursday, 27 May 2004 at 20:56:03 +0900, Zev Blut wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> On Thu, 27 May 2004 20:42:00 +0900, Sascha Ebach <se / hexatex.de> wrote:
>> >I would like to know a way how I can query if I am actually using the c
>> >fastcgi version.
>>
>> To make it load the C version change your require statement to:
>> require 'fcgi.so'

JF> Whoa whoa whoa. There is just too many fcgi's floating around here. :)

JF> I read about fcgi working with webrick, so I thought cool,
JF> I'll try it. So I downloaded it. It didn't have an install,
JF> but the install location looked obvious -- I put it under
JF> webrick/.

JF> Then I noticed that it needed the ruby bindings to fcgi, so
JF> I downloaded Matz' ruby bindings to fcgi and tried to install.
JF> That didn't work because it couldn't find the fcgi.h include
JF> file. So I downloaded the C version of fcgi, built it and
JF> installed it. Now Matz' ruby bindings to fcgi installed
JF> correctly.

JF> So I assumed that the only fcgi core was a C version.
JF> What is this about a ruby version of fcgi?

JF> Next, I assumed that fcgi would work in webrick if I
JF> just required webric/fcgi in my httpservlet. Now I see
JF> people adding 'require fcgi' to the already existing
JF> 'require cgi' in their .cgi files. Is this really necessary?
JF> What about the .rhtml files (ie, those run by erb).

JF> Is erb launched for every request, or is this already handled?

I'm not sure about this. But the C version of FCGI belongs to the
client side, not the webrick server. Remember that FCGI's are
independent servers. So in your code you should 'require fcgi' and let
the 'webric/fcgi' to the server. But this is only a guess.

Maybe i find some time to look at it tonight, if nobody else can give
an answer, it's also on my own TODO list, so we can share our
experience.