il Tue, 25 May 2004 12:22:53 -0600, "Ara.T.Howard" <ahoward / noaa.gov>
ha scritto::

>i must say that idea of a collecting block syntax is a nice one...

please, no more syntax :)
 I believe that in the case a collecting/non collecting dychotomy
should exist it should be something at the convention level, like !
for dangerous methods

>this conversation has basically went the same way my own thought process went
>before submitting the RCR.  'of' might not be the _greatest_ name, but then
>again neither is 'map' (unless you have programmed perl).

I believe map() was really common long time before Larry wrote his
first language, and it is very common in many languages.
not that this makes it obvious to anyone, anyway.

> my point is this:
>'of' is nice and short and mnemonic _enough_, at least as mnemonic as
>Array#map isn't it?
>
>after you'd seen
>
>  a, b, c = 3.of { MyClass.new }
>
>or even
>
>  first, second, third, fourth = 4.of {|which| MyClass.new which }
>
>once, maybe thrice, in some sources - wouldn't it be clear enough?

agreed