On Tue, 25 May 2004 02:04:23 +0900, Kirk Haines wrote:

> One thing that I'm trying to figure out right now, though, is when to make
> a jump from 0.y.z to 1.0.0.  When is a piece of software stable enough to
> no longer be a 0.y.z version? Is this a completely subjective judgement,
> or do you all think there are some objective criteria that can be applied
> to guide the decision?

I think of 1.0.0 as a promise to your users. You're promising that your
code is of _production_ quality. That is, if they d/l your code they will
find that it has enough features to be useful, is robust, and is stable.

I would also say that 1.0.0 code should have sufficient documentation to
be useful _without_ having to read the source code.