This is an interesting discussion, as it's something that I have vacillated
on for years.  Generally, I think that the x.y.z public version numbering
scheme is a good one, oftentimes combined with using something like 20040524
after all of that to help keep track of minor changes and internal items.

One thing that I'm trying to figure out right now, though, is when to make a
jump from 0.y.z to 1.0.0.  When is a piece of software stable enough to no
longer be a 0.y.z version? Is this a completely subjective judgement, or do
you all think there are some objective criteria that can be applied to guide
the decision?

Kirk Haines