Hi Tim,

--- Tim Sutherland <timsuth / ihug.co.nz> wrote:
> I'm not the original poster, but I've done something
> like this. I didn't use
> Win32OLE though, I used Win32 calls. (Easy thanks to
> the 'dl' library.)

Great !

> There's a program called "Winspector"
> (www.windows-spy.com) which allows you
> to see what messages are sent to a window when you
> do things. (Like click a
> button.) You can simulate user-actions by sending
> these same messages.
> (Microsoft has a similar program called Spy++ which
> they distribute with
> Visual Studio.)

Yes, I have used Spy++ in the past ...

http://www.sdkacm.com/static/events/12-March-2004/slides.sxi

> (OpenOffice.org format).
>
> I'm not sure how useful the slides will be, many of
> them just say things
> like "[demonstrate code that does ... ]", and I
> don't have the demonstrations
> online.

I will check it out.

> I'll ask work if I can release the code I wrote
> under a nice license
> (BSD/MIT-style). They've previously done this for
> code that's not directly
> related to our project, so there's a good chance we
> can do this. (It may take a little while ...)

No problem ... I will wait :-)

> Feel free to ask me if you have any questions about
> this.

Just a simple example of grabbing the Active window
and sending a message (e.g. Maximize) in Ruby may be?

I have been able to do it for applications that are
started from within my Ruby app (using Win32Ole and
Shell.sendkeys interface), but not for those that are
already running.

Thanks,
-- shanko