What about those who use both?

My typical programs have the x.y format externally, with x indicating
definitive stable releases, and y major changes (bugfixes and changes
that don't alter features are not documented in external version
numbers). At the same time I keep internal version numbers  based on
the date just for my own purpose (it's easier for me to change a few
numbers in the program than to rename files).