Simon Strandgaard <neoneye / adslhome.dk> wrote:
> Thomas Dickey wrote:
>> Simon Strandgaard <neoneye / adslhome.dk> wrote:
>>
>> > Does any applications output bytes in the C1 area?
>>
>> most do not (for Linux).
>>
>> > Can I safely assume that none is doing so?
>>
>> reasonably safe.  A real vt220 would respond to control characters there,
>> but the feature should be inactive in UTF-8 mode.

> <lame idea>
> IIUC xterm has C1 enabled per default. Wouldn't it be safer to
> let it be disabled per default?   If people wants a fully vt220 compatible
> terminal, then they can enable it themselves.
> </lame idea>

I'd rather just make it work properly (in this case, -k8 is fixing
a coincidental bug).

> I looked a little at your aclocal.m4, (I am no autoconf expert).
> It seems as CF_X_FREETYPE primary uses 'xft-config' and then as a
> fall-through 'freetype-config'.

> I have 2 versions of freetype installed.. a very old version (xft-config)
> and the latest version (freetype-config).

> Wouldn't it make sense to probe the 'freetype-config' first ?

Not exactly - for the configurations I was familiar with, xft-config
provided the information needed, while freetype-config gave only part
of it.  (But this is all guesswork, since neither is documented ;-)

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net