Thomas Dickey wrote:
> Simon Strandgaard <neoneye / adslhome.dk> wrote:
>
> > Does any applications output bytes in the C1 area?
>
> most do not (for Linux).
>
> > Can I safely assume that none is doing so?
>
> reasonably safe.  A real vt220 would respond to control characters there,
> but the feature should be inactive in UTF-8 mode.

<lame idea>
IIUC xterm has C1 enabled per default. Wouldn't it be safer to
let it be disabled per default?   If people wants a fully vt220 compatible
terminal, then they can enable it themselves.
</lame idea>

> > I wasn't able to compile xterm with freetype support, but
> > I have freetype installed.
>
> > It seems as a problem with freetype..
>
> It seems that freetype has many slightly-incompatible versions.  (I'll
> check over this to see if I can see where I might fix my test-script).

I looked a little at your aclocal.m4, (I am no autoconf expert).
It seems as CF_X_FREETYPE primary uses 'xft-config' and then as a
fall-through 'freetype-config'.

I have 2 versions of freetype installed.. a very old version (xft-config)
and the latest version (freetype-config).

Wouldn't it make sense to probe the 'freetype-config' first ?

--
Simon Strandgaard